Discover more from Tugboat for Today
Favorites September 19th 2023
I just can't imagine a situation where a street would feel nicer with larger setbacks or a wider street.
Here are more photos of the tiny little fire trucks that operate in a city much denser than any in California.
Here's a longer thread on the subject, but I think a public access requirement should be absolutely fundamental to any historic preservation.
It's a quote from a recent NYTimes article about Tokyo, the affordable big city. After reading Arbitrary Lines, I'm now convinced that the ideal is to literally get rid of zoning. Here's an argument where the author expands a bit on why he's a full blown 'zoning abolitionist'.
Flotsam and Jetsam
– SF Sunset Night Market was very successful, they're going to do it every month starting sprint 2024 (src)
– Russian army recruitment ad shows soldiers discussing which part of Kiev they want to live in. Very anti-colonialist of them /s. (src)
– Mercury News has an article about how prop 13 is destroying California's schools. (src)
– Stores are moving to using RFIDs to do checkout. Amazon too, they're abandoning the camera approach. (src)
– "political extremism supported by an illusion of understanding" (src)
– Go to jail for skipping a $3 bus fare, but kill a pedestrian and you might not even get a ticket. (src)
– While it is finally smoky in the bay area today, looking at a satellite photo, we're actually doing quite well, relatively few fires in CA this year. (src)
– Literally lost an F-35. (they eventually found it again) (src)
– Article about the debate held by The Free Press on 'has feminism failed' was amusing. (src)
– Lawrence Lessig argues that congress should rule that Trump is eligable to run for president, to avoid a constitutional crisis. (src)