Favorites October 6th 2023
Employment in all sectors is higher than pre pandemic, except for leisure and hospitality, which are nearly there.
Batteries are getting cheap so fast that we're beginning to noticably flatten the duck curve even though we're only beginning to roll out utility-scale batteries.
Flotsam and Jetsam
– Biden Admin is sending ammunition seized from Iran to Ukraine: Basically the reverse Iran-Contra (src)
– Sierra Club blocking a mass transit project, not great (src)
– Detailed explanation of the kinds of railcar, in youtube form (src)
– Deep dive into just one specific recent trip Clarence Thomas where he seems to have pretty clearly violated the law, even under the most lax possible interpretation. (src)
– The Philippines cut a barrier China put up to block fishing boats in what they claim as within their territory. (src)
– Trivalent nasal vaccine vs mumps, measles and COVID seems to work in an animal model. Very promising (src)
– Bart extension to San Jose has been so wildly expensive that it would be better if it was graft instead of just waste. (One major cost has been tunneling instead of cut and cover) (src)