Discover more from Tugboat for Today
Favorites October 11th 2023
This is just the start of a very long post, but the upshot is clear from the graph: even if apartments that are getting built are 'luxury' this impacts the entire market. Good news: Newsom signed all of YIMBY's priority bills this year.
Strictly speaking you can only smoke weed in a home that you own, so theoretically you could smoke in your condo, but the condo board would have probably prohibited it.
I don't have hard data for this, but I strongly suspect the difference here is GMOs.
• Explanation of how the 'race to the bottom' theory that globalization would make life worse for everyone turned out to be exactly wrong. Happily, folks have actually admitted they were wrong about this. (src)
• Very surprisingly to me, giving kids condoms in school actually lead to higher teen pregnancy rates. (src)
Flotsam and Jetsam
– Actor photos on Wikipedia are mostly from Comic Con, because there's one guy who goes to Comic Con just to take creative commons licensed photos of all the actors there. (src)
– Israel, Iran and the US are all denying the WSJ story that claimed Iran was involved with the attacks. (src)
– Lead architect of La Sagrada Familia, Etsuro Sotoo, was born in Japan, but was so moved by it that he moved to span 40 years ago and it looks like it'll be finished by 2026 (src)
– Detroit is going to implement an LVT, but they should probably spend more on their assessor's office as part of that. (src)
– Renewables are popular, but just a few people disliking something is all it takes to block a project with NEPA (src)
– More on California's home insurance market having problems (src)
– US is trying to organize a way for civilians to exit Gaza into Egypt, which borders Gaza and blockades their border. Here's a report from NBC News. (src)
– NIMBY and Anti-Immigration paired in the UK, with the thinking "We have a housing policy that unnecessarily impoverishes us all so therefore we must have an immigration policy that unnecessarily impoverishes us all to compensate" (src)
– Apparently a bunch of Israeli commandos were sent in as the attack started and were all killed. They were unable to deploy anyone else for fully 12 hours. (src)
– A kid who couldn't get into university has proven he has talent by getting hired at Google out of High School (src)