Favorites August 9th 2023
This seems really cool! Also, it's actually quite surprising to me that contrails raise temperatures by insulating, rather that lowering temperatures by reflecting away sunlight!
This is just one data point, but this definitely points in the correct direction.
It's hard to remember, but Donald Trump was considered a 'moderate' Republican by some voters back in 2016.
Flotsam and Jetsam
– There was another room temp superconductor claim in march, but Twitter didn't pick it up. Which is sorta too bad, because it's good that everyone got excited about scientific replication. (src)
– There was a weird uptick in teen smoking in the 90s, and then it fell back down, but among adults smoking has been constantly falling (src)
– The US tariffs on china have surprisingly little effect on US imports of Chinese goods (src)
– The US can't produce nearly as many artillery shells as we once could. (src)
– The English pay way way too much for housing. (src)
– Post WWII inflation as a template for the apparent soft landing we've seen (src)
– Popular Chinese keyboard exfiltrating 100% of keystrokes to Tencent, and doing so insecurely. (src)
– People clearly understand scientific uncertainty, look at all the excitement over LK-99 replication! (src)
– Minimum wage increases largely end up going directly to landlords. Once again land value taxes are the correct solution! (src)
– Is it offensive to say that Democrats are neurotic? (No, that's dumb) (src)
– Great article about examples of secret family recipes that turn out to be off the Toll House Chocolate Chip cookie bag. (src)
– Canadian goes to the hospital to seek help with intrusive suicidal ideation. Clinician suggests physician assisted suicide. Yikes (src)
– Apparently China's military budget is about the same as the US's military spending. (src)