Favorites August 5th 2023
My first reaction was 'wow, Dermatologists are doing great', but then I noticed how high those hour counts are. Being a doctor involves a lot of thinking, doing that while fatigued can't be good! Too bad the US caps the number of doctors!
I wonder what this will do to the 'doughnut effect' that happened when folks moved to suburbs when remote work started early in the pandemic.
It really really looks like China is preparing for everyone to be very mad at them.
Flotsam and Jetsam
– To lift the world out of poverty, decreasing inequality isn't enough, even if world inequality fell to the level of Denmark, we'd still need 5x the current world GDP. (src)
– There are just a lot less building fires than there used to be even in the '80s. (src)
– Senator Josh Becker wants more permanent supportive housing built, but he was one of the few who opposed streamlining 100% permanent supportive housing. (src)
– Researchers found a way to train an AI to find short pieces of text that can be added to AI chat prompts that 'unlock' them. While the example they gave will be quickly closed, it's not clear how the attack can be mitigated. (src)
– Joke idea: Taylor Swift concerts in countries in balance of payments trouble to bring in foreign cash. Maybe only sort of a joke. (src)
– If upzoning and new construction actually resulted in higher rents that would probably be very good. (src)