Discover more from Tugboat for Today
Favorites August 4th 2023
This is very good, RSV kills a few hundred kids in the US every year and hospitalizes many thousands. Unfortunately protection only lasts one year.
Look at all that spinning hot metal just to heat bread! Check out the site.
I've always liked this meme template, although I saw this excellent breakdown of how the standard understanding of the interaction is sort of backwards. TL;DR Draper really is jealous of Ginsberg, but he hides it very well.
I'm happy to see this, and reading the article it seems like this was actually a bipartisan piece of legislation, so it's a very promising start.
• I've mentioned it before, but here's a very clear thread explaining how this year's extreme heat is because we reduced sulphur emissions from maritime shipping. One takeaway that was new to me is that there are other ways to achieve a similar effect that would relatively cheap.
Flotsam and Jetsam
– Wages growing faster than inflation (src)
– Trump swore that he wouldn't intimidate or influence witnesses yesterday, but he's making posts that seem to violate that promise today. (src)
– The ACLU scuttled bail reform in California, because they didn't like the loss of judicial discretion. (src)
– Search and Web coming to Threads in "the next few weeks" (src)
– Relatively strong jobs report, unemployment fell (src)
– More building of homes results in rents lower than if fewer homes are built. (src)
– Linux has surpassed Mac among Steam gamers. Steam Deck is a big part of that. (src)
– India is restricting imports of electronics products in order to grow their own industry. What I've read about industrial policy makes it pretty clear that this is not the right way to do industrial policy. You've gotta subsidize exports. (src)
– Candidate for best Simpsons quote ever (src)
– Bureau of labor statistics refuses to recognize 'beach' as an occupation (this is a Barbie reference) (src)
– BART transbay tube carries more people at peak than the Bay Bridge, and a lot fewer people have been shot on bart recently than on bay area highways. (src)
– Article from Vox about how Modelo became the top selling beer in the us. (src)
– While there's been lots of talk of a tech recession, aggregate tech industry employment has remained stable (although it isn't increasing so much anymore) (src)