Discover more from Tugboat for Today
Favorites August 25th 2023
Bikes are a lot smaller than cars! Each marginal person you can get out of a car improves traffic for everyone else. Also, I learned from this article that there are ebikes now available for less than $1000.
I've been wondering about this for a while. AlphaZero was capable of learning from only self-play, it's got to be possible to find ways for large language models to learn from their own work. I wonder how this could work with non-code tasks.
• Longish thread describing in detail China's economic history since 1994.
Flotsam and Jetsam
– Nice to see a GOP candidate get booed for calling climate change a hoax. (src)
– Skyscraper in Vietnam lit up in Ukrainian colors for their independence day. (src)
– Price to sequence a human genome falling faster than Moore's law (src)
– Trump skipped the republican debate, dropped a bit in polling. (src)
– At the debate, the republican candidates all seemed pretty keen on invading mexico. (src)
– On the other hand, none of the candidates raised their hand to indicate they believe climate change is caused by humans. (src)
– UCLA study finds that development in SF is so expensive that nothing under 10 units pencils. (src)
– The Japanese nuclear wastewater release is not hazardous, don't let anyone tell you otherwise (src)
– Ramaswamy is transparently running to be Trump's VP (src)
– Paper straws tend to have high levels of PFAS, which is bad. (src)
– British cities other than London have transit systems that combine worst of the US plus the worst of Europe . (src)
– Norway can build a tunnel for less than it costs Britain to do the planning application. (src)
– Singer of "Rich men North of Richmond" says he's surprised Republicans played it before their debate, since it's meant to be a criticism of them. (src)