Discover more from Tugboat for Today
Favorites August 21st 2023
Youth unemployment in China is nearly 22 percent, so they've stopped publishing it. But things could still get worse, worryingly, CCP leadership may decide that military action is a solution to this economic decline. Russia has very low unemployment right now! (Because Russia’s getting all the young men killed!)
Obviously we need legislation to add categorical exclusions for clean energy projects, it's supposed to be an environmental law! Here's the source article.
Essentially, Americans just can't conceive of a world where you don't take a large vehicle everywhere you go.
Barbie doesn't even make the trains run on time! Although it's not like Mussolini did either...
• Short thread with photos, explaining how city planning has gotten too far from it's original purpose. TL;DR, here's the whole thing as a meme:
Flotsam and Jetsam
– Folks predicting doom in the Chinese real estate market were finally right after 15 years (src)
– Speeding tickets in SF are up 7x vs March, nearly back to pre-pandemic numbers. Either SFPD has ended their wildcat strike, or SF is finally busy again. Either way, great! (src)
– AirBnB and Uber both exploited loopholes the rich had carved out for themselves, and did it well enough to prevent anyone from closing those loopholes. (src)
– EVs so far ahead in Norway that Hybrids of any kind are now grouped with gas cars. (src)
– Trump continues to have a strong lead in polling of Republicans (src)
– Baltimore has 3x the ODs of San Francisco, but a third the homelessness problem. More homes, lower rents! (src)
– Sadly, Bay Area bridge tolls aren't being increased (src)
– In the US, more Bureaucracy at the margin is currently very good (src)
– Wanting to get your genes tested is something you can be genetically predisposed to. (src)
– Companies That Offer Unlimited Vacations may have better stock performance (src)
Faux pas: I put two tweets from the same person about different subjects next to each other! Oh well.