Discover more from Tugboat for Today
Favorites August 17th 2023
The recommended DeSantis strategy of defending the frontrunner seems totally ridiculous to me. Klein goes further in a follow-up post: none of this advice is in line with his 2021 strategies of anti-wokeness.
Earlier in the thread Mollick points to two other findings about creativity: constraints help, and kids are not more creative than adults. He also argues that you should include AI in your idea generation process.
Another interesting factoid about these drugs is that they're based on research into exotic lizard saliva, funded by the NIH. It’s good to fund basic research!
• Long post about Sessue Hayakawa, a Japanese American silent film star.
Flotsam and Jetsam
– Roosevelt Institute advocating against policies FDR would have favored (src)
– Nigerian and Nigerien refer to people from two different countries. And they all appear to be mad at the French (src)
– China is opposed to giving people money as a form of stimulus for ideological reasons. Noah Smith quips: "Keynesianism is America's superpower" (src)
– By naming his app 'X', Musk makes it hard to find the close button in UIs. (src)
– Inclusionary zoning must always be set up as additional density above what's zoned. It doesn’t work otherwise (src)
– Chinese diplomats funding Canadian student associations to monitor and coerce other students (src)
– Dental health RCT shows that better teeth make everyone have better self-reported mental health, plus a ton more benefits specific to women. (src)
– Canada has city-specific political parties, this is good. (src)
– Updated hurricane forecast indicates it's going a bit further east and will not make landfall in California (src)