Discover more from Tugboat for Today
Favorites August 12th 2023
I wonder how many app installs per day Twitter needs to counteract normal churn, it's probably not that much, but this is still pretty embarrassing. Of course, the app store shows an add at the top of search results, Seufert links to example ads, saying “Other apps are feasting on Twitter’s brand equity.”
San Francisco at less than 40%, that's wild! These numbers are so low and so persistent that it makes me want to search for some other explanation that could be messing with the data!
Dubler also talked a bit today about how people in high cost coastal cities that haven't had much growth think housing 'filtering' can't happen because it can't as long as there's not much construction and rents keep getting higher.
• China is having some sort of economic trouble, but the economic data they publish is unusually poor. I must admit, I am not familiar with all of the metrics being discussed.
Flotsam and Jetsam
– Market Urbanists who don't like LVT say it causes Gentrification, they've learned this strategy from NIMBYs (src)
– India is taking a keen interest in protecting Taiwan from China. (src)
– Labor market unusually strong for people with disabilities. Republicans argued that disability benefits kept people out of the labor market, but it turns out the labor market was just too weak. (src)
– Non-pharmaceutical interventions made a big difference in death rates before the vaccine, simply by keeping people from getting infected before the vaccine was available. (src)
– People don't believe that housing 'filtering' can happen because they've exclusively lived in super expensive cities where nothing gets built so filtering never happens. (src)
– Meme with antisocial message spreading on TikTok appears to have originated in China (src)
– Money alone doesn't win elections, if it did, Sanders would have won the 2020 Democratic primary. (src)
– Worldwide maternal death rate fluctuates based on whether a Democrat or Republican is currently president of the US. (src)
– SFFD gets angry about AVs that stop after being tampered with, but thinks it's cute when a car flips over and blocks a bus. (src)
– Now that paid ChatGPT has the option of adding custom instructions, here's one suggestion for a starting point (src)